Google My Business Image Specifications
There are a range of different media assets you can add to you Google My Business (GMB) listings which include images, videos and product listings. Using these assets correctly can really enhance the listing so this article lists the current specifiactions for images and how best to use them
The three main types of Google My Business photos are:
- Google My Business Profile photos: Logo’s for your business so users can identify who you are.
- Google My Business Cover photos: The cover photo sits at the top of your profile and should represent your businesses identity, products or services. this image may not always appear on Google search results!
- Additional Google My Business photos: Add different photos to spotlight features of your business that customers consider when making purchasing decisions.
How To Add Google My Business Photos
- First, claim your Google My Business listing.
- Then log into your Google My Business.
- Navigate to the Photos tab in the left-hand column.
- Click on the type of photo you wish to add and walk through the wizard.
Your photos will look best on Google if they meet the following standards:
- Google My Business Profile Photo Size: 250 x 250 pixels (minimum 120 x 120; maximum 5200 x 5300)
- Google My Business Cover Photo Size: 1080 x 608 pixels (minimum 480 x 270; maximum 2120 x 1192)
- Format: JPG or PNG.
- Size: Between 10 KB and 5 MB.
- Minimum Resolution: 720 px tall, 720 px wide.
- Quality: The photo should be in focus and well lit, and have no significant alterations or excessive use of filters. In other words, the image should represent reality.
Business Specific Photos
This information can be found directly on Google at https://support.google.com/business/answer/6123536
Your business will look best on Google if you add category-specific photos. These photos spotlight features of your business that your customers use when making purchasing decisions. Photos you add can also help differentiate your business on Google.
Learn more about adding photos to your local business on Google
Types of business-specific photos
|Description||Minimum number to add||Tips|
|Exterior photos||Exterior photos help customers recognize your business as they approach from different directions.||Add at least three great exterior photos to help customers recognize your business.||1. Capture a photo from each direction that customers might approach your business.|
2. Try uploading photos that show your business at different times of day.
|Interior photos||Interior photos help your customers get a feel for the ambiance and decor of your business.||Add at least three great interior photos to show customers what your business feels like inside.||1. Capture photos that truthfully show what it’s like to stand inside your business as a customer.|
2. Capture the atmosphere of your business in your photos.
|Product photos||Great photos of representative or popular products give customers a better understanding of the kinds of goods you offer.||Add at least three photos of products that you sell.||1. Showcase the items that are most popular for your business.|
2. Try taking evenly lit photos of your products.
|Photos at work||Photos help customers quickly understand the type of work you do.||Add at least three photos that are representative of the services you offer.||1. Capture photos of your team providing different types of service to customers.|
2. Capture photos of the speciality services you deliver.
|Food & drink photos||Food & drink photos add color and detail to your menu and help customers plan where to eat.||Add at least three photos of the food or drinks you serve.||1. Showcase the food items that are most popular for your business.|
2. Try taking evenly lit photos of your food items.
|Common areas||Photos of your common areas help attract customers who are planning business or leisure travel.||Add at least one photo of each of your common areas.||1. Add at least one photo of each common area (for example, spa, gym, or breakfast room).|
2. Capture the atmosphere of the common area in your photos.
|Rooms||Customers rely heavily on photos of guest rooms when deciding where to book their next hotel for business or leisure.||Add at least three photos of your most popular guest rooms.||1. Try showcasing all the different types of rooms that you offer to guests.|
2. Capture photos that truthfully show what it’s like when you are in the room as a guest.
|Team photos||Team photos are important to present a more personal side of your establishment.||Add at least three photos showing your management team and your employees.||1. Show something a little less formal to humanize your business.|
2. Show yourself and any staff to highlight your personalities and give potential clients a feel for what you’re like.
Google My Business Photos Best Practices
Businesses invest a lot of time and money into their website. The same principles should be applied to your Google My Business profile!
Within Google photos, highlight your building, office, and people, which adds a personal touch. Remember that it’s worth investing in professional-quality headshots. Low-quality photos do not reflect well on your business or services. A team photo is also a great idea.
Important: Your Google My Business photos are often the first thing customers see when searching online. Remember that online visitors may not even make it to your website. Your Google profile may be your only chance to shine and make a lasting impression so make it count with high-quality images.
Once your Google photos are optimized, it’s time to take a closer look at the rest of the profile.
Is your Google profile filled out completely and accurately? Most importantly, how are your online reviews and ratings? After all, low ratings and a low count of reviews often deter prospective customers from your business. Click below to learn more about Google My Business best practices: